I bought my bass & all the stuff that goes with it a few years ago.
I was extremely suicidal and it scared me. So I tried to find some sort of release, some sort of therapy that did not require me sitting in front of a shrink for an hour of awkward question-dodging.
The sound is deep, the resonating notes made my hands tingle and bounced around the inside of my ears. It was extremely calming. It made everything stop hurting for just a little while.
I really love that bass. I think it may have saved my life.
Fortunately that part of my life has passed. I can get out of bed these days. I no longer think about driving off a bridge on the interstate. I no longer think about hanging myself or taking pills and falling asleep in a tub of water.
So I am selling my bass and using that money to get more lenses or to pay off what I already owe.
That part of life when I just needed to feel safe is gone, replaced by a part of my life when I want to grow and change. Now I need to move in an entirely different direction.
I am trading what saved me for something that will hopefully propel me to new paths.
It makes me a bit sad to let go of that bass.
It isn't about how much it costs or the material possession.
Truthfully I am terrible musically. I can't even hum on key. I couldn't keep the rhythm going. My hands always hurt after a few hours of plucking on those strings. After a while all the notes sounded the same and I gave up.
It feels more like I am selling something that made me feel safe, even briefly.
Like I'm giving away a part of me.
It still has to be done. I can't hang onto things like that.
Maybe it'll help somebody else. Who knows.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment